Friday, November 28, 2008

Twilight and Thanksgiving

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and we went to see the new teen vampire romance movie, "Twilight". I liked it very much and The Husband found it a bit "cheesy" but grudgingly admitted to liking it, too. I am looking forward to the sequel, myself. The young actors were good, and the fellow playing the main teen vampire was at least as dreamy as promised. The other vampires all had the sexy-scary vibe they should have, the ambiance of the movie was cloudy and broody in good way, and the dialogue was only occasionally a bit too much ("And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.")

Considering that one of the primary characteristics of a vampire should be sexiness, the movie was pretty chaste. Then again, the heroine is only 17, so that's probably appropriate. Then again, again, doesn't that make her older than Joan of Arc? No matter, despite the high Dreamy Factor, I was a bit icked out by any smooching or contact between the two leads, and I was distracted, too. Why? Because these vampires are cold. This point was made when our young heroine, Bella, brushed the hand of the young vamp, Edward (I have always had a weakness for Eds), and drew back, saying "You're so cold!" I cannot recall if she officially knew at that time that he's a vampire. In any case, every time they smooched or snuggled, I just couldn't turn off the little voice in my head that said "Cold!" He even kissed her on the neck without biting, which should have been hot, but all I could think was "Cold! On her neck!" And at one point she laid her head in his chest- imagine the lack of comfort of resting your head on a cold slab of meat. It seems to me that one of the best parts of physical contact with other humans is that they are warm. I can't even imagine how it will be if/when they get naked. Cold!

Still, on the balance, I enjoyed the movie very much.

After the movie we did have the traditional turkey dinner, just the the two of us. I enjoy baking and I have a pretty good level of experience with cakes and cookies, but I had never made a cheesecake until this Thanksgiving. I was beginning to feel some guilt about that, as The Husband is a big fan of cheesecake. So I made my first ever cheesecake for Thanksgiving; it was a pumpkin cheesecake with a sour cream topping. Cheesecake is a challenge because it must be removed from the oven while the center is still a bit soft. So it's a guessing game, and a particular puzzle for a person who has never made one or seen one made.

I am happy to report that it came out well. The center was a bit softer than the edges, but it held together just fine. The flavor was good. The husband said he liked it and he even had seconds. Hurrah for cheesecake success!

I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home