Monday, February 16, 2009

Blogging versus Facebook


Well, I got seduced by Facebook. It gets one in the habit of receiving relatively rapid feedback on everything one does, and then one begins to expect that. I think maybe the high school and college age folks are more active on the site, but the folks my age, at least the ones I know, mostly aren’t too active now that the new has worn off the concept. All the articles about how social networking sites will change the world or are already doing so are nonsense; young people have always found ways to connect, and no matter what medium they use, it’s still the same thing. Facebook is just the new texting, which was the new talking on the telephone, etc.

Facebook also encourages short posts or none at all. I do like the ability to lift pictures from other folks’ pages- I must learn how to do that here instead of having to take all my own shots. Then again, I like taking pictures and it’s good to have some motivation for doing so, even though only one other person that I know of actually reads this blog occasionally (other than me). Maybe that’s good, though. Who knows how many old journals I have with the first few pages full of heartfelt entries and the rest of the book blank. I find it very difficult to write without an audience in mind, so keeping a journal has never worked out for me. Who is it for? Those who survive me? Well than I had better keep it clean. My own later self? Based on the me I know so far, I won’t be interested in the future and I will find most of the entries so cringe-worthy I will just end up throwing the whole thing out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home